Warning: serious comfort food coming at ya. What is it about pasta that makes it so cozy? Alongside our favorites like tomato soup and chicken pot pie, a big bowl of pasta with Cheesy Mozzarella Meatballs or bolognese sauce just makes me want all the comfy things. While the jury is still out on the why, we might as well test taste to make our own conclusions. Get on your house pants, we’re eating dinner in pajamas.
Okay, you don’t always have to eat pasta in your pajamas. It’s just a recommendation.
These Cheesy Mozzarella Meatballs are great for a crowd or even as an appetizer. They’re made on the smaller side, so you could toothpick it if you want to. The recommended way to dish out these little round bites of cheesy, meaty bliss is to splurge on some of that fresh pasta in the deli section. Not only does it take less time to cook (bonus) it’s so wonderfully tender and soaks up sauce in the most beautiful way (double bonus).
You can always up the ante and make your own pasta. While I love fresh made pasta, most times I prefer to pass on the mess. If you’re ready to roll up your sleeves and get an arm work out in, my friends over at Foodal have a great intro recipe for making your own homemade pasta. It includes options for using your standing mixer, working it by hand and what to do if you don’t have a pasta roller.
Cheesy Mozzarella Meatballs
Ok, nuts and bolts time. The meatballs. This is now the only way I shall make meatballs for pasta. If you love cheese, why would you not add cheese?!
Did I mention these beefy bites of gooey goodness are gluten free? Yep. Because we’ve got all that cheese in there we don’t have to worry about a binder like breadcrumbs. And with all the options for pasta like brown rice, chicken pea, black bean and more, we can share these Cheesy Mozzarella Meatballs with our gluten free friends too!
Best thing about making homemade meatballs? The simplicity of it all.
Simple ingredients, easy to prep, throw in a bowl. Don’t want to chop garlic? Me either. Let’s use that cheat garlic from a jar. Fresh chop parsley too much hassle? They make paste now! You can usually find it over by the herbs. Mix it, scoop it, roll it, bake it. Call. It. A. Day.
I’m ready to kick up my feet and dig in. Don’t worry, I brought an extra fork for you.Print
Fork tender cheesy mozzarella meatballs are easy to prepare and gluten free. A gooey twist on a traditional classic that’s perfectly paired with fresh pasta or can be served as an appetizer.
- 1 ½ lbs ground beed (90/10 recommended)
- 1 cup whole milk mozzarella, freshly grated¹
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pure ground black pepper
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 to 1 ½ quarts Hand Crushed Pomodoro Sauce
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh linguine pasta
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix throughly using a rubber spatula or your hands.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, scoop about 1 tablespoon of mix and roll into a ball. Place on parchment paper, about ½ inch apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. While the meatballs bake, prepare the pasta per package instructions.² In a sauce pan, warm pomodoro sauce (or your favorite pasta sauce) over low heat. 1 quart will lightly coat the sauce and meatballs. 1 ½ will provide plenty of sauce. Once meat balls are cooked transfer to the sauce and stir in pasta. Serve family style or plate on individual plates.
¹It’s highly recommended to freshly grate the mozzarella. While you can definitely substitute the pre-shredded mozzarella it doesn’t get quite as melty and gooey as the stuff you grate yourself.
²I always, always salt my pasta water. It add flavor and depth to the pasta. About 1 to 2 teaspoons is sufficient.
- Category: Pasta