This easy and creamy Chicken Pot Pie is a go-to meal when life is crazy and you need food to comfort your soul. Flavorful chicken and crisp vegetables coated in a creamy, rich sauce served up in a flaky, buttery, puff pastry pie crust.
What's not to love about this ultimate comfort food, right? Veggies, protein, and starch, in a melt-in-your-mouth savory sauce, all packaged up in between two buttery, flaky pie crusts.
If you love anything chicken pot pie, you should put this cast iron chicken pot pie next on your list of things to make. Or if you just love comfort food, savory pies, this family classic of French Meat Pie is a must!
Why I Love Campbells Chicken Pot Pie with Cream of Chicken Soup
Hellooooo, quick and easy dinner. Might I say you are looking mighty fine tonight?
Seriously, when there isn't a ton of time to prep dinner or if you need to make something in advance and freeze, this creamy chicken pot pie is going to be your meal in shining armor. Not only does it require just four simple ingredients, but it's also hearty, tasty, and a total crowd-pleaser.
- buttery, flaky, pie crust that comes right from the package
- loaded with veggies
- creamy, rich, no make gravy
- juicy, flavorful chicken
You just combine everything in a bowl, stuff it in a pie crust and bake. Dinner problems solved.
I like to call this my "I've got too much stuff to do Chicken Pot Pie."
If you're looking for a recipe with a scratch crust or plan on making a roux, this recipe is not for you. This takes 10 minutes to put together then you then shove it in the oven for an hour while you check off the rest of your to-do list.
Ingredients and Substitutions
While this creamy Chicken Pot Pie recipe is super easy and uses the most basic of ingredients, it wouldn't be right if I didn't let you know the ways you can mix it up!
Fresh veggies like celery, carrots or mushrooms can be substituted for frozen veggies but they need to be sauteed until fork-tender first.
You can use any vegetables that you love! Feel free to mix it up and see what you like best!
My favorite easy-button part of this recipe is the frozen hash browns! They taste great and make the process a whole lot easier and quicker.
However, if you have the time and patience, you can use regular potatoes and cook them down first.
Campbell's Condensed Chicken Soup is used to make the creamy chicken sauce, it saves a ton of time when you don't need to make it from scratch...and we all know Campbell's is unbeatable! I can still see my Mother using it in her recipes when I was a child!
The option of using regular versus the 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup is completely up to you. We can't tell the difference in taste between the two, so it is a completely personal preference.
The pie crust can be store-bought or homemade, I normally go for the store-bought option as I like to make this meal quickly. But, if you have more time to spare you can make it from scratch!
You can also add some fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, parsley, or whatever you fancy! It's not required but feel free to play with your fave flavors!
Another great shortcut is using a rotisserie chicken. Though chicken breast is usually what we bake off for this, grabbing that already cooked, already delicious roasted chicken at the deli is a great time-saving choice. If using that option, omit the additional salt. Or even use leftovers from the Thanksgiving turkey and turn this into a creamy turkey pot pie!
No matter your final ingredient choices, the bones of this creamy chicken pot pie recipe are going to save you plenty of time this week making dinner.
How to Make Four Ingredient Chicken Pot Pie
Creamy, hot chicken flavor with the perfect bite of texture from the vegetables and the soft, flaky pie crust - win.
With school back in session and colder months approaching, this is also a great 'make ahead' meal that you can stick in the freezer, defrost that morning or stick in the fridge the night before, then pop it in the oven when you get home. We can all use a little of that in our lives.
Line the pie pan with one of the pie dough shells.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients.
Top with the remaining pie shells. Crimp the edges. Cut vents in the top pie crust to vent steam as it bakes.
Optional: brush the top with egg wash or cream. Cover the edges with foil and bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 to 30 minutes.
When the pastry is golden brown then you'll know it's done. I recommend baking for 1 hour at 375°F. The chicken has been precooked though so you don't need to worry about it making anyone unwell!
Once it has completely cooled to room temperature, pop it into an airtight container. From there, you can stick it in the fridge until you want to enjoy it again. I would say it will last about 3 - 4 days in the fridge!
This is a great meal to prepare in advance for this exact reason!
I love to make it up and then freeze it, whenever I want to make it in the evening, simply pull it out and let it fully defrost. Then bake as usual and you have the easiest and fastest delicious weeknight dinner! Who knew pie could be so easy!!
Hungry for More Quick and Easy Dinners?
On the hunt for more quick and easy comfort food classics for weeknight dinner? Try these super easy crock pot chicken tacos!
If the pressure cooker is your wheelhouse you'll love the simple and cozy results of my Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup or this Instant Pot Lamb Ragu.
If you loved this Creamy Chicken Pot Pie recipe, please consider leaving a star rating and comment below! Don't forget to tag @hungerthirstplay when you post on Instagram and Facebook so I can see all your hard work!
Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 box prepared pie crusts (2 shells)
- 1 lb chicken breast (baked and sliced into bite size pieces)
- 1 12-ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 10.5- ounce cans Campbell's 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 cups frozen diced hashbrowns
- ½ teaspoon pure ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 whisked egg yolk for pie crust (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl combine chicken, vegetables, diced hashbrowns, cream of chicken soup, salt, and pepper. Mix with a spatula until all ingredients are fully combined.1 lb chicken breast, 1 12-ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables, 2 10.5- ounce cans Campbell's 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup, 2 cups frozen diced hashbrowns, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pure ground black pepper
- In a pie pan, lay out the bottom crust. Add the pot pie filling to the crust. Top with the remaining crust, crimp the edges. Using a knife or a fork, poke holes in the top to allow steam to vent through during baking.1 box prepared pie crusts
- Optional: brush with egg yolk for a shiny, golden crust.
- Cover the edges of the pie with foil to keep from over browning. Bake at 375°F for about 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue cooking for another 30 to 45 minutes.
- Freezing - this pot pie can be made in advance and frozen before baking. Defrost in the fridge about 8 to 10 hours before you plan to bake it.
- Potatoes - to add fresh potatoes to this recipe, dice, and boil the potatoes until just before fork tender. They do not need to be cooked all the way through, but at least halfway.
- Fat free vs regular - you can use fat free or regular cream of chicken soup. They both yield similar results. The regular version has a bit more sodium, so I skip the salt addition to this recipe when using it.
- Texture - this recipe yield a hearty creamy texture! If you like your pot pie with a thinner sauce you can add ¼ to ½ cup chicken stock to the condensed chicken soup before mixing with the other ingredients.
The recipe is so amazing!!! I can't belive how quickly I made a pie, unbelievable...I will be using this recipe over and over again! Thanks so much for sharing this!