Easy Chicken Pot Pie – a go to for when life is crazy and you need some food that will comfort your soul. Flavorful chicken and crisp vegetables coated in creamy, rich sauce served up in a flaky, buttery pie crust.
Inspired by the Theatre
The husband and I took a trip to NYC recently for our anniversary. It was wonderful. We’ve always loved New York, but even more now that getting time to go now is a bit trickier than it used to be. Besides going for fresh restaurant ideas, I am one of those lucky women whose husbands will willingly go to the theatre. It works out quite nicely actually. I sleep in, my husband gets alone time to walk around New York, buys our tickets at the discount “tkts” booth in the center of Times sSquare, and comes back with coffee.
I am one lucky lady.
This time around we went to see Waitress and it was phenomenal. The cast was amazing and the music was outstanding, granted, I’m a sucker for Sara Bareilles, but regardless it was so good. The theatre smells like pie….pie. I was in heaven.
In the spirit of Jenna’s whimsical pie names, I would like to call this my “I’ve got too much shit to do Chicken Pot Pie.” If you’re looking for a recipe with a scratch crust or plan on making a roux, this recipe is not for you. This takes 10 minutes to put together and shove in the oven for an hour while you check off the rest of your to-do list. There are 4 ingredients. Chicken, frozen mixed vegetables, cream of chicken soup and pie crust. The results are delicious. Seriously delicious.
Creamy, hot chicken flavor with the perfect bite of texture from the vegetables and the soft, flaky pie crust – win. With school back in session and colder months approaching, this is also a great ‘make ahead’ meal that you can stick in the freezer, defrost that morning or stick in the fridge the night before, then pop it in the oven when you get home. We can all use a little of that in our lives.
A little disclaimer…I do not put potatoes in my pot pie. I know it’s weird, but they just make it too heavy for me. We love chicken pot pie in this house and we love potatoes, just not under the same crust.
One the bright side, you know what doesn’t take a lot of time? Not cooking potatoes.
Another short cut I often use is roaster chicken. Though I prefer to use chicken breast, if I’m really looking to save some time I will be a rotisserie chicken at the deli and pull about 1-lb of meat. If using that option, omit the additional salt. While we are covering ingredients….the option of using regular versus the 98% fat free cream of chicken soup is completely up to you. We can’t tell the difference in taste between the two, so it is completely personal preference.
No matter your choice for the final ingredients, I hope this recipe makes your week just a touch simpler!Print
Four ingredient, easy to make chicken pot pie!
- 1 lb chicken breast, baked and cut into bite size pieces
- 1.5 (16-oz) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 (10.75-oz) can Campbell’s 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 box prepared pie crust (two crusts)
- 1 whisked egg yolk, for pie crust (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl combine chicken, vegetables, soup, salt and pepper. Mix with a spatula until all ingredients are fully covered with the cream of chicken soup.
- In a pie pan, lay out the bottom crust. Add the chicken and vegetable mixture to the crust.
- Top the filled pie with the remaining crust, crimp the edges and using a knife or a fork, poke holes in the top to allow steak to vent through during baking.
- Optional – brush with egg yolk for a shiny, golden crust.
- Bake at 375F for 60 minutes or until the crust is completely golden brown. If edges are starting to brown too quickly, cover the edges with aluminum foil.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American