Cooldown this summer with refreshing frozen blood orange margaritas! Freshly juiced blood oranges add natural orange sweetness with hints of tart grapefruit and juicy cherry blended with classic margarita flavors.
File this recipe under easy, delicious, and quick. When it comes time for cocktails during the warmer months, these blended beauties will do the trick every time!
Here's what you'll need to make them:
- silver tequila
- blood oranges
- orange liquer (like Cointreau)
- fresh lime juice
- brown sugar
The ingredient list is more than just tequila and mix, but using fresh ingredients makes a HUGE difference in flavor. Rather than overpowering the flavor with too much sugar, the fresh ingredients and the simple syrup balance the sweetness, acidity, and liquor.
What does blood orange taste like?
Blood orange is SO good! Besides the brilliant color of this citrus, the taste is something really special. Blood oranges taste like oranges but sweeter while also having a tart acidity similar to grapefruit without bitterness.
It's a fun balance of flavors. If you love oranges, you'll love blood oranges.
Plus, they're so beautiful! They're great for making desserts and brunch items, like this blood orange tart. But the margaritas are a bit more fun in my opinion.
How to make these margaritas
Grab your blender, it's time to make some cocktails!
Juice your blood oranges. You need 1 cup of juice. That'll be about 5 or 6 oranges.
Make the simple syrup using equal parts brown sugar and water - this is just to add some extra sweetness to the margaritas and balance out the fresh lime and orange juices.
Add all the ingredients into a blender along with 4 to 5 cups of ice and hit that start button! Don't forget the cover, of course.
If you're so inclined, a little sugar rim to the top of your glass is a fun way to add a pop of flavor. This citrusy rim has both brown sugar and salt to hit all the tastebuds! Just be sure to zest one of the blood oranges before juicing it.
For a pop of color, you can use dried edible flowers to garnish! I used these edible flowers (affiliate link!) in the photos.
Can you substitute other juices?
Absolutely! You can use regular oranges, tangerines, even grapefruit. Whatever you can get your hands on will still add up a ridiculously tasty cocktail.
If salad is on the menu, Chipotle Cobb Salad is the perfect fit for the fresh citrus flavor of these blood orange margaritas!
Frozen Blood Orange Margaritas
Frozen Brown Sugar Blood Orange Margaritas
- 1 cup silver tequila
- 1 cup blood orange juice about 5 to 6 oranges
- ½ cup orange liquer like Cointreau
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup hot water
- zest of 1 blood orange
- 5 cups ice cubes
Brown Sugar Salt Rim
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- zest of one blood orange
- In a blender, combine the brown sugar and hot water. Let sit to melt the brown sugar.
- Juice the blood oranges and add to the blender. Add the tequila, orange liquer, lime juice, and ice to the blender.
- Blend on high for 1 minute.
- Make the brown sugar rim: On a flat plate combine the brown sugar, salt, and orange zest. On another plate, pour about 1 tablespoon lime juice or agave. Rim each glass with lime juice then dip into the brown sugar rim.
- Fill each glass with frozen brown sugar blood orange margaritas and enjoy.