Soft and Chewy Salted Caramel Cookies.
Did you hear that record scratch?
The softest, chewiest cookies you ever did put in your mouth. Coating your taste buds in sweet, buttery caramel at first. To be followed with the satisfying sharp salt on the end. These puppies have a middle name and it is D.A.N.G.E.R.O.U.S.
Dangerous, like accidentally eat half the batch with your 2 year old then having to run around the neighborhood a few times to burn off the sugar rush. I'm not saying that's exactly what happened....but it could possibly be just what happened.
Just a touch of crunch on the edge with a soft and chewy center. These salted caramel cookies are laced with caramel in the batter, caramel chips and salted caramel drizzle for ultimate sweet snacking.
In the ranking of sweet things, it should be:
- Salted Caramel Things
- Chocolate Things
- All Things Cake
Sounds about right, no? Am I missing things? Let me know. But in this little corner of the universe that I call my world, anything caramel reigns supreme.
Like this Salted Caramel Pretzel Cake. Or try to choose between Salted Caramel Chocolate Cupcakes and ultimately fudgey Salted Caramel Brownies. For a caramel dish with Thai fusion - try Wanderspice's Lemongrass Pound Cake with Thai Coffee Caramel. (Uh, yes. Coffee + Caramel. Put me at the top of that wait list.)
So. Many. Options. But first on the list are these purely soft, splendidly chewy, satisfying sweet and savory Salted Caramel Cookies. Salted Caramel three times to be exact.
They say that things in trios are more soothing for the human brain to process. Well, this trio is going to be soothing for your human mouth to process. 15 times if you'd like.
Soft + Chewy Salted Caramel Cookies
Easy to whip up. You don't even have to soften the butter. Just throw it in the mixer and start the beater.
No for reals. That's a nice little restaurant hack. I've worked at enough places that served piped or whipped butter. They're supposed to take it out first thing in the morning. You know what doesn't happen a lot of the time? Yeah. That. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for things like buttercream frosting, it's an awesome short cut for these cookies.
While there's scientific debate over which type of butter to use in a cookie...cold butter, melted butter, even shortening...they all have a different end result. This end result? Divine cookie-dom. Buttery, luscious caramel in a melt-your-heart soft cookie.
Crinkley on the top and a sprinkle of chunky coarse salt or use that pretty flaked salt. ❤️ But of all things, don't forget that ice cold milk to sip or dip!
Soft + Chewy Salted Caramel Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup salted caramel 2 tablespoons for the batter, remaining used for garnish
- 1 cup caramel chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Starting on slow and increasing speed to medium-high, beat butter until soft and pale, about 3 minutes.
- Add granulated sugar and brown sugar, mix on medium-high speed for 1 minute. Add egg, vanilla, and salt. Mix to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl.
- Add baking powder, baking soda and flour. Start on low speed until incorporated, add 2 tablespoons of salted caramel¹ and increase speed to medium to combine. Slowly add caramel chips and mix until combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop, roll each scoop into a ball and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat mat. If you don't have a cookie scoop, use about 2 tablespoons of dough per cookie. Sprinkle lightly with coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, let cool 15 minutes, then drizzle with remaining salted caramel.
- You can use this recipe for small batch salted caramel sauce for the drizzle.