Fudgy, sweet & just a tad salty these brownies are sure to please all your tastebuds!
For the brownies:
- 1 12-ounce bag semi-sweet chocolate (good quality)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup salted caramel
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
For the Salted Caramel – Yields 1 1/4 cups
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- good silicone spatula
For the Caramel:
- In a heavy bottom saucepan over low-medium heat, add the sugar. Continually stir the sugar with the spatula until completely melted. Sugar will clump, but eventually will melt completely.
- Once sugar is melted, continue to stir until the liquid reaches a medium-amber color. If using a candy thermometer, the temp should be between 245F and 250F.
- Working quickly before the liquid turns to a dark amber color, add the heavy cream. !Be careful – Mixture will bubble.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt. Stir in the butter, one piece at a time, stirring until each piece is completely incorporated before adding the next.
- Allow to cool completely before using in the brownie recipe.
For the brownies:
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9×9 baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. If using parchment paper, a little cold butter on the pan will help keep the parchment paper in place. Preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a double boiler (heatproof bowl set over a sauce pan with barely simmering water) melt the entire bag of chocolate and the butter, stirring frequently to incorporate. Let cool slightly, about 3 or 4 minutes, enough time to get the remaining ingredients ready.
- Using a whisk, add granulated and brown sugars to the melted chocolate.
- Whisk in eggs, one egg at a time. Add vanilla extract.
- Add flour, cocoa powder and salt. Using a spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the chocolate/sugar mixture.
- Pour the batter into the 9×9 pan. Drizzle caramel over batter in rows. Drag a knife or toothpick across the rows, swirling the caramel.
- Bake for 35-37 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Garnish with coarse natural sea salt.
- Category: Dessert