The perfect blend of sweet honey and toasty whiskey blended with the creamy taste of pumpkin and a surprise, subtle pop of mint. Honey pumpkin whiskey smash takes the traditional cocktail and gives it the perfect fall twist!
These lovely little tinctures are, well, to be honest, they’re a tad dangerous, but only because they are oh so delicious to sip.
Also, they’re easy to make. And you can easily batch them for future get-togethers whatnot.
Other noteworthy factors on this fall-themed cocktail:
- just the right amount of sweet
- not an overbearing amount of pumpkin
- great for all types of palates, not just whiskey and bourbon lovers!
- a subtle pop of cooling mint
Let’s get to it! It’s almost Thanksgiving and I’m going to need something to sip on while that turkey gets in the oven.
How to make honey pumpkin whiskey smash
Make the syrup. Smash the mint. Shake. Strain. Sip. That’s all it’s going to take until these little beauties are in our hands.
The pumpkin syrup is quick to make. Just combine the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil, give it a stir, and once all the pumpkin purée is smooth just let it cool.
In a mixing tin with some crushed ice, smash the mint with a muddler, then build the drink. Give it an aggressive shake with some more ice and then double strain into a fresh glass with crushed ice!
How to make crushed ice
There are two options! While you don’t have to use crushed ice, it makes this drink way more fun to sip on.
You can either get a crushed ice tray which freezes the ice in strips so when you crack it to release the ice it crushes itself. Or you can go the simple way of putting your cubed ice in a bag and crushing it with a meat mallet or rolling pin. The kids love this option.
What do you use for whiskey smash garnish?
Traditionally just a healthy handful of mint still on the sprig. Since our cocktail has flavors of pumpkin and honey, here are a few other garnish options:
- star anise
- cinnamon sticks
- fresh grated nutmeg
How to batch whiskey smash cocktails
If you’d like to make these in advance and not have to worry about playing bartender, later on, it can easily be done! You can either build a few of these at a time in a cocktail shaker or just add mint to the pumpkin syrup while you make it to infuse that mint flavor.
More whiskey cocktail ideas…
If you’re loving the sweet and boozy flavors of these pumpkin smashes, give these other whiskey and bourbon-based cocktails a try.
- Apple Cinnamon Whiskey Smash
- Blackberry Honey Bourbon Smash
- Gingerbread Old Fashioned
- Sparkling Fall Sangria
So this fall and holiday season, skip the pie and steal the can of pumpkin to make these honey pumpkin whiskey smash cocktails!Print
Skip the pie, add the whiskey. Honey pumpkin whiskey smash cocktails are what we will be sipping on all fall. Simple to make and easier to drink with just the right amount of sweetness, pumpkin and boozy flavors!
Honey Pumpkin Whiskey Smash
- 2 ounces whiskey
- 2 ounces pumpkin syrup
- 6 mint leaves
- splash lemon juice
- ¼ cup pumpkin purée
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup water
- Make the syrup. In a small saucepan, combine the pumpkin purée, honey, and water. Bring to a slow boil, whisking occasionally to remove any clumps. Once the mixture starts to boil, remove from heat and cool.
- Smash the mint. In a cocktail shaker, smash the mint leaves with a little crushed ice using a muddler.
- Build the cocktail. Add the whiskey, splash of lemon juice, and ice cubes to the cocktail shaker. Cover and shake for 10 to 15 seconds and double strain over a rocks glass filled with crushed ice.
- Garnish and serve. Garnish with fresh grated nutmeg and fresh mint, enjoy!
- To batch the cocktails, add mint to the pumpkin syrup once it comes to a boil and let it steep while it cools.
- For easy batching, use equal parts of pumpkin syrup and whiskey instead of measuring out ounces.
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: Shake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: whiskey smash, fall cocktails, pumpkin drinks, pumpkin cocktails, thanksgiving drinks