Feta stuffed baked spaghetti squash is like hitting the easy button on a normally time-consuming veggie and still getting loads of flavor! Roasted slices of this yellow vegetable get a flavor upgrade when seasoned with salt, pepper, and fresh thyme and baked with tangy soft chunks of feta cheese.
Cheese obsessed but make it veggie, because the only thing to love more than this versatile squash is roasting it with salty, creamy feta.
It makes a tasty side dish or you can use it as a building block for a plethora of meals - lasagna boats, pad thai, sub it in for pasta and toss with bolognese, pesto, or Pomodoro sauce. So many options and we're adding one more with this easy oven roasted side.
How to bake spaghetti squash in the oven
Spaghetti squash is pretty dense before being roasted, so we've got a few tricks and tips up our sleeves to help speed up the process.
Cut off the ends of the squash and then cut into rounds. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and stringy center.
If you have the time, season the squash with salt and pepper about 30 minutes before putting it in the oven. Even as the oven preheats would work too.
The salt will work to extract water from the squash, making for a tastier squash. You will still get a delicious result if you don't have time to season in advance, it just helps!
Once you're seasoned place the squash rounds on a parchment or foil-lined sheet tray. Cover the tray tightly with foil, this is the important part! By wrapping the foil over the sheet tray it will create a heat-trapping environment and help cook the squash faster.
After about 15 minutes of foil-wrapped baking, remove the foil and stuff the crumbled feta evenly in the centers of the squash rings and top with fresh thyme before baking for another 15 or so minutes.
Voila! Fancied up baked spaghetti squash with little effort.
How thick should the rounds be?
You'll want them about 2 inches to really stuff the feta. If you need them to cook faster, cut them thinner and sprinkle the feat over the squash instead.
What do you serve with it?
Chicken is my go to. You can roast a whole chicken or use this buttermilk roasted chicken that will cook in just about the same time! (Just put the sheet tray in the middle of the oven to account for the temp difference.)
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please leave a rating and comment below and be sure to tag me on social media so I can see your wonderful cooking!
Feta Baked Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 pound feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 small sprigs fresh thyme
- Prep. Cut the ends off of the spaghetti squash. Cut into 2 inch rings and scoop out the sides and center of each round. Season with salt and pepper and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Bake. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper lines baking and place the squash rings on top. Tightly cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Stuff. Chop or crumble the feta and place it into the center of each ring. Top with thyme. roast for another 15 to 20 minutes uncovered.
Squash should pull apart from the skin easily. Serve whole or pull away from the rind and lightly shred with a fork.
- For a faster cooking time, slice the rounds thinner and sprinkle the feta over the squash instead of in the center. You'll have more squash rounds and not enough feta to stuff the centers.
- You don't have to let the squash sit with the salt and pepper. This just allows the salt to extract water from the spaghetti squash giving it a better texture.