Deliciously soft and pumpkin laced cake swirled with milk chocolate and tangy cream cheese. Pumpkin bundt cake that’s already stuffed with tasty things only gets better when drizzled with a super simple and quick chocolate bourbon glaze.
Welcome to Lauren’s 34th year on this Earth where I’ve come to believe that bundt cakes are everything. No piping bags, tips, trying to smooth frosting. The bundt cake is the unsung hero of cake and this pumpkin beauty is here to bring all the goodness of cake in a much simpler bake.
So many good things hanging out in this bundt. Here’s what you’re going to love:
- pumpkin, obvs
- super tender cake
- sweet milk chocolate chunks
- tangy cream cheese swirl
- ridiculously easy chocolate bourbon glaze
- that you just pooooour on and call it a day.
We’re ready bundt cake. Show us your scrumptious, simple cake ways.
How to make swirled pumpkin bundt cake
Pumpkin and bourbon are the new best friends of fall. I mean, whiskey and apple have their cinnamon whiskey smash going on, so it’s only fair we let pumpkin in on the action right?
Fear not, if booze is not your thing, you can totally skip it.
This cake starts like any other….cream the butter and the sugar, add the wet ingredients in increments. Whisk the dry ones together separately. Add them together until just combined (don’t overmix!) and boom, the batter is done. Now comes the swirly part.
The key to the swirl is getting the cream cheese really soft. I like to zap mine in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds. The reason for the extra softening is so the cream cheese is swirly after baking.
Do I have to warm the cream cheese?
If you just slice and place the cream cheese on top of the batter it is still delicious but not very swirly, so its a matter of time and preference.
Layering the batter
In a greased bundt pan – my favorite thing to use is baking spray, it’s SO easy – pour half the batter. Sprinkle it with half the amount of chopped chocolate. Using a spatula lightly swirl the warmed cream cheese on top followed but the remaining chocolate pieces. Finish pouring the batter into the pan.
While the cake bakes, it’s time to pop the bourbon. Yippeee.
Simple chocolate bourbon glaze
No melting chocolate, no tempering, no scalding milk. We’re reaching for that cocoa powder, confectioner’s sugar, and a whisk.
In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and confetioner’s sugar. Whisk in the bourbon than the heavy cream. Depending on how thick or thin you prefer your glaze you can add more or use less heavy cream. Remember, if your freshly baked cake is still very warm the glaze will run more than if it has cooled down. I like it when it’s just slightly warm to the touch.
Do I have to use the bourbon?
Nope. Just substitute more heavy cream.
Does it need to be refrigerated?
Yes. This fall dessert is best if served warm or room temperature, but you are going to want to refrigerate it in between servings because of the cream cheese swirl. Just be sure to wrap it in plastic wrap or cut into smaller pieces and place in an airtight container.
My favorite way to have it is lightly toasted in a pan with butter. The same way I love to eat these little apple cakes in the morning.
And that, my friends, is really all she wrote (well, except for the recipe below). Can we please get a, “here here!” for the simple bundt cake? Here, here! And a ‘there, there’ in our bellies!
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a rating and a comments below! Be sure to add a picture of your beautiful bake to the pin on Pinterest!Print
Simple and oh, so delicious! Fall-inspired pumpkin bundt cake recipe is a breeze to make with super tender pumpkin cake and swirled chocolate and cream cheese filling under an easy to make chocolate bourbon glaze.
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can pumpkin puree, 15 ounce can
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4.4-ounces chopped milk chocolate bar, or substitute ¾ cup chocolate chunks
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
Chocolate Bourbon Glaze
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 5 to 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat and prep. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a 10-inch bundt pan with baking spray or butter. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Make the batter. In the bowl of a standing mixer with the paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer and beaters, cream the butter until pale and fluffy. Add the brown sugar and vanilla, mix together on medium speed until light in color. Add the eggs one at a time mixing until fully incorporated. Mix in the pumpkin puree, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl halfway. Add the dry ingredients on low-speed mixing until just combined and scraping down the sides of the bowl if needed.
- Pour the batter. Place the cream cheese in a small bowl and microwave for about 30 seconds until very soft. (Note: this step is not necessary, but it makes the cream cheese swirl inside the cake smooth. You could just cut and place the cream cheese.). Pour half the batter inside the bundt pan. Sprinkle it with half the chopped chocolate, coat with the chocolate with the soft cream cheese, lightly smoothing it with a spatula. Top with the remaining chocolate pieces followed by the rest of the batter.
- Bake. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 400°F or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean or with just a few crumbs. Let the cake cool slightly, then place a piece of parchment paper or a plate over the bundt pan and gently flip over waiting for the cake to release from the pan. Let cool for about 15 minutes before adding the glaze.
- Glaze the cake. In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioner’s sugar and cocoa powder. Stir in the bourbon, then the heavy cream. Whisk until smooth and pour over the top of the cake.
- Serve. Best if served slightly warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate in between servings.
- The warmer the cake is the more the glaze will spread. I like to glaze it over a piece of parchment paper so if things get messy I can just rip the parchment paper off after the glaze has set.
- If omitting the bourbon, just substitute more heavy cream.
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin bundt cake, pumpkin bundt cake with cream cheese filling, swirled pumpkin bundt cake, pumpkin cake with chocolate glaze