Peanut Butter, almond butter, cashew butter...all the butters are just wonderful creamy, gooey, spreadable goodness. Tasty and filling, peanut butter is chock full of heart healthy stuff. Spread on toast, paired with jelly, crushed on pad thai noodles. There are so many applications. When it comes to that time between lunch and dinner, Peanut Butter Energy Bites will have you zipping through the rest of the day.
What's the deal with powdered peanut butter?
The science of how this magical powder has come to exist is beyond me. Ok, perhaps not beyond me thanks to the powers of the almighty Google.
Regardless, the concept of 'powdered peanut butter' is strange at first. PB2 and other powdered peanut butter brands provide all the creamy, sticky goodness of regular fresh ground peanut butter but with up to 85% less the fat calories.
By pressing the fat calorie producing oils from the peanuts and leaving them in powdered form, you can slather up your morning toast without the guilt. All it takes is just a little h20 and four ingredients.
Ok...but an energy bite?
Well, maybe more than just one bite please if you're in the company of others. These things will SAVE you.When that post lunch snack craving comes around or maybe you're stuck in traffic and didn't have time to make breakfast. Store a few of these round snack savers in your center console or purse to keep bad decisions at bay. Particularly when someone puts out a cookie tray in the conference room or driving past your favorite fast food stop.
A combination of oats, peanut butter powder, raw honey and chocolate chips all rolled up in one or two sweet and satisfying bite. The PB2 brings all the peanut butter flavor your could ask for along with creamy texture. Raw honey adds just a touch of sweetness and natural antioxidants. Oats aide to silence embarrassing stomach growls and chocolate chips...because chocolate. duh.
Highly recommending the 'Enjoy Life' brand of mini chocolate chips for your bites. The 'mini' shape ensures chocolate in every nibble and the 'Enjoy Life' brand ensures safety for any gluten, dairy or soy allergies. Sounds like a win to me!
Need more powdered peanut butter recipes in your life? Try these!
'Skinny' Peanut Butter Energy Bites
- ¾ cup powdered peanut butter such as PB2 brand
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 1 ¼ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- In a bowl, add first three ingredients and whisk together. After ingredients form a paste, switch to a spatula and stir vigorously until mixture is 'creamy' and there are no clumps.
- Add oats and chocolate chips. Stir well to combine. Oats should be evenly coated with peanut-honey mixture.
- Let chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Using an ice cream scoop or spoon, take about 1 tablespoon of energy bite mixture and form into balls.*
- If hands become too sticky and the mixture sticks to hands instead of rolling into a ball, wash and thoroughly dry your hands before resuming.
- Calorie count will vary depending on brands used, especially for the chocolate chips. Nutrition information updated 5/19/21.