Rich, creamy, velvety and easy! Creamy Tomato Basil Soup takes 8 ingredients and simmers quickly on the stovetop. Blended up for a bowl of smooth tomato soup, rich with sweet fresh basil and a touch of heavy cream.
It’s officially that time of the year. The dog looks at me like I’m out of my mind when it’s time for a walk and shoveling can officially count as exercise. We’ve had our first snowfall and it is queueing up all things warm and cozy. Oh, hello soup, yes, we’re talking about you.
Where are my soup lovers at? Are you with me on this? Like a bowl of hot soup and crusty bread on a rainy or snowy or just plain old gross day, well it’s better than a cupcake. Kidding, cupcakes are pretty hard to beat, but this creamy tomato basil soup is gonna come close.
Here’s what you’re going to love about it:
- easy, stovetop, quick simmer and done
- simple ingredients
- bold tomato flavor
- velvety cream
- fresh basil leaves (like a burst of summer!)
- spice optional
That’s some pretty good stuff right there, we can get on board with that.
How to make this tomato basil soup, but creamy…
There are two tools you’ll definitely need to make this soup. One is a soup pot, stockpot, or dutch oven. Something that will hold a decent amount of liquid. Whichever soup pan is your go-to, that’s the one.
The other key tool to making tomato soup creamy is blending it up nice and smooth. My favorite is using a handheld blender. It’s great for soups like butternut squash, but good for puréeing vegetables like these creamy parsnips.
But if you’re a kitchen minimalist — tell me your secrets please, I need to Marie Kondo my gadgets — you can use a blender. Just also use caution cause that soups gonna be hot hot hot.
The simplicity of this soup is my second favorite thing, next to the taste. You simply sauté the onions and garlic until soft, add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil then simmer. Blend it up and you are good to go, my friend.
Now to just find something mega cheesy and carby to dip in it….brb.
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know what you thought in the comments and leave a rating! If you love Pinterest as much as I do, you can leave a photo of your delicious eats on this pin.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 1 29-ounce can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 10-15 basil leaves about 1/4 cup packed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- optional 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat until it shimmers. Sauté the onion for about 1 minute before adding the chopped garlic. Cook while stirring frequently until the onions are translucent, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine - watch out for steam - and add tomato sauce, chicken stock and heavy cream. Season the soup with salt and pepper. For a hint of heat, add 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Stir in the basil leaves.
- Bring the soup to a boil over medium high heat. Once a slow boil is reached, about 10 minutes, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blend the soup using either a hand blender or by carefully transferring to a blender capable of blending hot liquids.
- Serve immediately with a classic grilled cheese, crusty bread or garlic knots. Soup will stay fresh refrigerated for 1 week.