Refreshing watermelon and mint are frozen and transformed into the best happy hour treat you’ll enjoy this summer. Boozy watermelon granita is super refreshing with just a touch of alcohol to make this an enjoyable adult treat for those summer days.
All you need is a blender, pan, fork, and freezer!
Do you have oodles of mint popping up? Maybe just a bunch left over and no idea what to do with it?
The watermelon is the perfect cool fruit taste. The mint is super refreshing. And just a touch of booze for a nice adult-y, happy hour punch. And out of all of the above, the texture is the BEST part.
What is granita?
Granita is an Italian dessert made from sugar, water, and typically some sort of fruit juice that is frozen but with a semi-frozen, icy texture. If you love a sorbet or Italian ice and this is pretty similar.
Really the options are endless on types of granita to make. They can be non-alcoholic or alcoholic (like this one). You could even do a savory one to pair with raw seafood like oysters!
Here are some of my favorite granita flavor ideas:
- vanilla lime
- blood orange
- strawberry basil
- lime and mint
- lemon and thyme
- orange and tarragon
- chamomile and honey
- cranberry and rosemary
- Bloody Mary (tomato juice, spices, and horseradish)
- Cucumber dill
- Mingoinette (shallot, black pepper, vinegar)
- Carrot Ginger
How to make watermelon granita with alcohol
This summertime cool treat is great to make when you're doing stuff around the house. It's so easy to make granita but it does require you to check on it every now and then over the course of a few hours.
What you'll need:
- 9x13 pan
- Empress gin (or any alcohol!)
- any fruit
- any herbs
- any alcohol
- sugar (you can definitely try a sugar substitute, I haven't personally experimented with it so I can't vouch for how good one will work over the other)
Step by step
In a blender combine all of the ingredients.
Blend until smooth.
Pour into a 9x13 pan and place in the freezer.
Scrape the slush that forms with a fork every 30 minutes over the course of 4 hours.
Eat right away or cover and freeze. Scrape the granita with a fork before serving.
Yes! Just leave it on the countertop for about 15 minutes or so and scrape again before serving to 'fluff it up.'
Granita will keep for about a week, afterwards, it will lose a lot of the flavor.
Absolutely. Substitute the ¼ cup alcohol for any type of fruit juice, such as lemon or lime, or addition cubed fruit.
Serve watermelon granita on a hot summer nice for a cool, adult treat or after dinner.
Hosting a fancy dinner party with multiple courses? Try serving a boozy granita as a palate cleanser between courses!
If you loved this recipe please leave a star rating in the recipe card below. Thank you for your support!!
Boozy Watermelon Granita
- 9 x 13 pan
- 4 cups fresh watermelon (cut in cubes)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup alcohol of choice (I used Empress Gin, but any spirit like vodka or rum will work too)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 6 mint leaves
- Combine the 4 cups watermelon cubes, ¼ cup granulated sugar, ¼ cup alcohol, salt, and mint leaves in a blender. Blend on high for 1 minute.
- Pour the liquid into a 9x13 pan. Transfer to the freezer uncovered.
- Every 30 minutes, remove the pan from the freezer and scrape with a fork. Do this 4 times total.
- Serve right away or cover and freeze overnight. Scrape the granita again before serving.
- You can substitute the watermelon for 4 cups of any fruit and use whichever alcohol you prefer. See the top for the post for flavor combination ideas.
- Granita will stay good for about 1 week, store covered in the freezer.
- Scrape with a fork before serving.
- To make this without alcohol, substitute the ¼ cup alcohol for any type of fruit juice (lemon, lime, orange, additional fruit, etc.)