Melty, creamy brie cheese, sweet apple slices and a pop of fresh herb flavor stacked between two buttery and crisp layers of bread. Apple and brie grilled cheese is a gourmet grilled cheese spin on the classic sandwich and made in just minutes!
A classic meal that so so easy to make, comforing with every bite. It doesn’t matter if the day has been amazing or the worst, each bite is feels like a warm hug of comfort food especially when your ambition to cook is nearing zero.
But because we’re doing this adulting thing, we’re upgrading our classic grilled cheese sandwich to gourmet grilled cheese status while keeping the steps super simple. Dip it in soup, eat it as is, serve it up to a crowd or enjoy it in silence it’s going to be great every single way!
What makes a grilled cheese gourmet?
It’s like a long sweater you can wear your favorite leggings under. Like, it looks fancy enough to wear to work, but you’re still feeling comfy and cozy as you push through the work day. Upgrading your grilled cheese ingredients is an easy way to take the flavors of this classic to a new level.
Here are the basics ideas:
- Buttery bread with a satisfying crunch
- Soft, rich cheese
- Add a sweet element
- Add an interesting twist (fresh herbs, smoky bacon, etc.)
The best part is there are so many combinations you can experiment every time you fire up the skillet. Switch up the cheese, swap out your sweet elements, add protein or a drizzle of sauce – it will just keep getting better!
How to make an apple and brie grilled cheese
Rather than using those cheese slices that come individually wrapped in plastic, we’re going to head over to that random island of delectable dairy in the grocery store where all those fancy cheeses are hanging out.
This sweet and savory grilled cheese in particular is using triple cream brie. It’s a mild cheese and it’s oh so creamy and perfect for melting. You can cut the rind off if it weirds you out, but it’s totally edible and to be honest cutting it off is too much work for me. When the cheese and rind are getting hot and melty, the texture of the rind is softer and adds great flavor.
Our next upgrade is to add a little sweet! Fresh apples add sweetness and texture to our fancy cheese sandwich. Macintosh are my personal favorite for this because they’re naturally softer in texture so when served warm on the grilled cheese its still really easy to bite into without making a mess.
Finally give your gourmet grilled cheese a twist! For me, fresh herbs take the prize of ‘pop of flavor’ every time. Fresh sage and apple is a classic combination. Sage can be a strong herb for some though, so a sprinkle of fresh thyme or basil are a great option too.
Bring all these elements together in a melty, gooey stacked sandwich takes just minutes! Which is the best part when you’re in a rush or you don’t have much ambition for cooking. A cast iron pan is my favorite way to sear melty butter into bread, but if that’s not in your equipment wheelhouse a non-stick skillet works just as well.
A few tips for making the best apple and brie grilled cheese:
- Leave the cheese and butter out at room temp for each melting and spreading.
- If you don’t have time for that, melt the butter in the pan before adding the bread. When the sandwich is almost done, cover the pan with a lid to get all the cheese melty.
- Use a good quality bread that’s soft and tender but sturdy enough to hold your ingredients – we love multigrain!
Apple and brie grilled cheese is perfect for soup dipping too! Butternut squash soup is the perfect companion if you’re looking for a little more to serve up with your sandwich. If you’re in the mood for some crunch, easy homemade truffle fries are the answer. Or just eat your sandwich straight out of the pan because you just can’t wait!
Apple and Brie Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- ½ pound double cream brie room temperature
- 1 macintosh apple
- 4 sage leaves chiffonade
- 4 tablespoons butter room temperature
- Prep the ingredients: Cut the brie into four equal pieces. Slice a macintosh apple horizontally, removing the core and seeds on the middle slices. Stack the sage leaves on top of each other, roll and slice into thin strips.
- Make the sandwich: Heat a cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium low heat. Spread butter on one side of each piece of bread. Place one slice of bread butter side down in the pan. Break one slice of the brie into pieces over the bread, leaving the rind on is optional. Stack the brie with three slices of apple, and a sprinkle of the chopped sage, about 1 teaspoon. Add another slice of brie broken into pieces over the apples and top with a slice of buttered bread, butter side up.
- Cook: Cook the sandwich for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melty. Using a wide spatula, flip over the sandwich and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients, slice and serve!
- Divide the butter into 4 equal pieces, melt in the pan and then place the bread on the melted butter.
- After flipping the grilled cheese over, cover the skillet with a lid for 1 to 2 minutes to let the heat and steam melt the cheese without adding cooking time.