Diced sweet potatoes and hearty beets are first roasted with honey and ginger before joining crisp kale, creamy goat cheese, and sliced almonds all tossed with addicting maple soy dressing.
Beets! Can’t beet ’em? Or do you just tolerate them? This beets and sweets salad is here to bring your beets up a notch into sweet and spicy, asian inspired flavor bliss using all natural sweetness.
Honey Ginger Roasted Beets
If you’re not roasting your beets (and sweets!) with this delightful honey and ginger combo…well I’m just not quite sure you’re enjoy life to the fullest. Here’s why:
- it cuts that super earthy edge that beets naturally have (and why most people don’t like them)
- it’s naturally sweet and just a touch spicy and the honey caramelizes ever so slightly during roasting
- plain beets are kinda lame….there I said it.
Besides adding a layer of flavor, honey ginger roasted beets and sweet potatoes are super easy. Use two pieces of aluminum foil on one large baking sheet to divide the sweet potato and beets so the colors don’t bleed or use two separate baking sheets.
Just divide the honey and ginger mixture in two, toss each with the sauce, spread into one layer on the pan and roast. Simple and tasty coming in hot.
how to make honey ginger roasted beets and sweet potato salad
Cut kale, bake earthy vegetables, whisk dressing, pile ingredients. We can get down with that right?
Here are some tips:
- If you’re not kale obsessed, baby spinach or mesclun greens make a great substitute.
- If you opt for kale, cut and wash it first. It helps break down some of the fibers that make it bitter and tough.
- The kale will hold up to the dressing so you could go ahead and make this the night before and it won’t get soggy (bonus!)
- If you can’t get your hands on chili garlic sauce, sriracha will definitely bring a similar flavor. If you don’t like spice, skip it.
- Pair it with protein. If that’s your thing. This salad would be great with some grilled shrimp, pulled chicken, or my personal favorite – a little crispy pork belly.
Happy crunching on some tasty – and healthy! – eats.
Sweet and spicy roasted beets and sweet potatoes tossed with crunchy kale, creamy goat cheese, sliced almonds and easy maple soy dressing.
Honey Ginger Roasted Beets and Sweet Potatoes Salad
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 small beets, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger paste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 head tuscan kale, larger stem part removed and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- maple soy dressing, to taste
Maple Soy Dressing
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (sriracha can be substituted)
Honey Ginger Roasted Beets and Sweets Salad
- Prepare the beets and sweet potatoes: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil or parchment paper OR one baking sheet creating two sections with aluminum foil (so the beets will not bleed into the sweet potatoes). The beets and sweet potatoes should be cut into bite-sized pieces.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, honey, and ginger. Drizzle half of the honey mixture over the beets and the remaining half over the sweet potatoes. Mix to combine.
- Bake at 375°F for 35 to 40 minutes until fork tender, let cool.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine the garlic, maple syrup, soy sauce, sesame oil and chili sauce. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Prepare the salad: On a large platter or in a large bowl, toss the sliced kale with maple soy dressing until coated, massaging it lightly into the greens. Top with beets, sweet potatoes, crumbled goat cheese, and sliced almonds. Serve right away or refrigerate covered up to 24 hours.
- Category: salads
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: roasted beets, beets and sweet potatoes, sweet and spicy, salads with beets, sweet and spicy salads