Mussels Fra Diavolo
Sweet, tender mussels in spicy, garlicky, diced tomato sauce. Mussels fra diavolo take minimal effort for maximum flavor!
Servings 4 to 6 servings
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 large shallot finely diced
- 3 ounces pancetta chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bag fresh mussels
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- pinch of salt
Prepare the mussels: Open bag of mussels into a colander. Rinse with cold water. Inspect mussels and remove any 'beards'. Discard any open mussels or mussels with broken shells.
In a large saute skillet heat olive oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add pancetta and cook until fat is rendered and pancetta is lightly browned.
Add sliced garlic and cooking, stirring or sautéing until just browned, about 2 minutes. Add shallots and cook for 1 minute.
Carefully add mussels to the pan and immediately deglaze the pan with the white wine. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan.
Add tomatoes, salt, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine. Let the heat from the sauce steam the mussels open while the sauce reduces, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Best if served right away. Especially with crusty bread for dipping.
- Pancetta can be left out for a pescatarian version. If leaving out, add ½ tablespoon of butter to the final sauce for a little fat to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.
Calories: 221kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 458mg | Potassium: 477mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 258IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 4mg