Butternut Squash Soup
Smooth and rich in flavor, this savory butternut squash soup is packed with fresh herbs and favorite fall tastes.
Servings 10 servings
- 1 leek diced, root end and leaves removed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ ounces pancetta finely diced
- 3 sprigs thyme
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 pounds butternut squash peeled, seeds removed and cubed
- 4 sage leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 8 cups unsalted chicken stock see notes
In a large stock pot, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add pancetta, leeks and thyme. Sauté about 10 minutes until pancetta is browned and leeks become translucent.
Stir in white wine to deglaze the pan.
Add butternut squash, sage, bay leaves, and 6 cups chicken stock. Cook on medium heat for about 1 hour, until squash is soft. Remove bay leaves and thyme sprigs.
Add kosher salt, white pepper, and remaining 2 cups chicken stock. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Additional chicken stock can be added or held back depending on desired thickness.
- Substitute vegetable stock and leave out the pancetta for a vegan version.
Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 228mg | Potassium: 682mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 14632IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 2mg