Lucille's Chicken Soup
A soul-comforting soup that comes together with ease. Robust chicken flavor with herbaceous undertones.
Servings 8 to 10 servings
- 2 lbs chicken breast or 1 small rotisserie chicken
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ribs celery
- 2 large carrots
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 quarts chicken stock see notes
- 2 dried bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375°F. Lay chicken breast flat on a baking sheet. Cook for 20 minutes.
Let cool slightly and cut into small, bite-sized pieces, or pull apart with two forks for a rustic style soup.
In a large stock pot, heat oil. Over medium-high heat sauté celery, carrots, and onion, 5 to 7 minutes until translucent and celery starts to soften.
Add chicken, stir to combine.
Pour in chicken stock. Add rice and bay leaves, stir to combine.
Bring to a boil, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat and let simmer 30 minutes until rice and vegetables are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Homemade chicken stock or low-sodium store-bought so you can add salt as needed.
- If using a rotisserie chicken, remove skin and pull meat from the bones. Given a coarse chop with the knife or hand pull into bite-sized pieces.
Calories: 415kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 653mg | Potassium: 930mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2603IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 2mg