Winter Kale Salad loaded with crisp and light tuscan kale, sweet pomegranate, creamy blue cheese, and brown bread croutons tossed in a well-balanced maple apple cider vinaigrette.
- 6 cups (1 head) tuscan or lacinato kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 4 ounces blue cheese block, cut in thin slices so it crumbles
- 4 cups brown bread croutons
- maple apple cider vinaigrette
Brown Bread Croutons
- 1 small loaf or 4 cups sweet brown bread, cut in cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Maple Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- optional 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Make the croutons: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cut or tear the brown bread into bite sized pieces. Toss with olive oil and spread into an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes until crispy.
- Make the dressing: In a bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, apple cider, dijon, garlic, salt and pepper. Slowly pour in olive oil while whisking quickly. Alternatively: Combine all ingredients in a mason jar, cover tightly and shake vigorously until blended. Set aside.
- Assemble the salad: Remove the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of the kale leaves. Chop the kale in 1/2-inch to 1-inch strips, wash and dry. In a large bowl, toss the kale and croutons with 3/4 of the salad dressing. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with pomegranate seeds and blue cheese.
- The kale holds up great to the dressing and can sit dressed for a while. If making ahead with the dressing, wait to add the croutons until serving.
- When shopping for brown bread, I use the Cheesecake Factory loaves they sell in the grocery store but any brown bread will do.
- Category: salads
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: winter salad, kale salad, salads for entertaining