Smooth, slightly spicy and packed tomato flavor you would never guess this tomato soup contains kale and butternut squash!
- 2 lbs butternut squash (peeled, seeds removed, cubed and steamed)
- 3 ounces baby kale (steamed)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 3 15.5-oz can tomato sauce (brand such as Hunt’s)
- 1 24-oz jar Newman’s Own Tomato & Basil Bombolina (pasta sauce)
- 6 cup chicken stock
- 2–3 tsp Sriracha
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Add butternut squash to steamer system of choice. After 15 minutes of steaming, squash cubes should be almost completely soft. Add baby kale and cover, steam 3-4 additional minutes
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté onions until translucent. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Remove squash and kale from steamer and add to onions. Stir to combine. Add tomato sauce and jarred pasta sauce. Stir to incorporate. Add chicken stock.
- Using immersion blender, blend ingredients thoroughly. About 3 to 5 minutes of continuous blending, moving immersion blender around the pot.
- Using your preference for spice, add 2 to 3 teaspoons of Sriracha sauce to soup along with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir to combine and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Category: Soup