Hearty and healthy this rustic Italian soup is easy to make and even easier to enjoy!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet italian sausage (casing removed)
- 1 head tuscan or lacinato kale (large stems removed, chopped in bite size pieces)
- 1 medium yellow onion (small dice)
- 2 large carrots (peeled, small dice)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 15-oz can small white beans (drained, rinsed)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 15-oz can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add sausage and cook over medium high heat, using a wooden spoon or spatula to break into smaller pieces.
- Once sausage is mostly cooked, there may still be some pink a few larger pieces, add the carrots and onion. Stir to sauté with olive oil and sausage, season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until onions have begun to sweat.
- Add garlic and stir to combine. Cook an additional 2 minutes. Carefully add the wine white to deglaze the pan. Use the spoon or spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Add kale and cook with existing ingredients for 5 minutes. Once kale has begun to cook down, add the white beans and diced tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Finally add the chicken stock, herbs and remaining spices to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the soup to just a boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
The amount of salt required for seasoning will vary depending on the chicken stock. Start small and add over the course of time the soup is simmering and taste as you go.
If fresh herbs are unavailable, substitute 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Italian