The classic recipe gets a summery twist! Sourdough panzanella is perfect for leftover or stale bread matched up with fresh, summer produce and creamy fresh mozzarella cheese.
Summer Sourdough Panzanella Salad
- 1 small loaf stale sourdough, about 4 cups
- 1 small head Tuscan kale, about 4 cups
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, quartered
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, diced
- 3 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup lemon basil dressing
Lemon Basil Dressing
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Tear the bread. Using your hands, tear the sourdough loaf into large bite-sized pieces. If using a fresh loaf of bread, leave out overnight to get a little stale if possible. Set aside.
- Make the dressing. Whisk together the 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1 tablespoon mustard, 1 clove garlic, 1 tablespoon honey, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon white pepper. If available, blend the ingredients in a food processor or using a hand blender to emulsify the oil and vinegar into a smooth dressing that doesn’t separate.
- Soak the bread. Pour 1/2 cup of the lemon basil dressing over the torn sourdough. Using your hands, massage it into the bread, covering every piece.
- Make the salad. In a large bowl toss the 4 cups kale with the remaining 1/4 cup lemon basil dressing and mix in the soaked sourdough pieces. Spread the strawberries, mozzarella, and thinly sliced (chiffonade) basil over the top of the greens. Serve right away or refrigerate and serve later.
- Leave the bread out overnight to get stale or use a loaf that’s a few days old
- Hand tear the bread for rustic, uneven pieces
- Keep the pieces bite-sized but on the larger side – you want the bread to be the star!
- Category: Salads
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: panzanella salad, sourdough panzanella, leftover sourdough recipes, what to do with leftover bread