Sweet roasted sugar pumpkin stuffed with savory goodness! Stuffed pumpkin is the ultimate New England fall comfort food.
- 1 medium sugar pumpkin, 3 to 5 pounds
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
For the stuffing:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, diced
- 1 to 1 1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Prep. Preheat oven to 425F and set a large pot of water on the stove to boil.
- Prep the pumpkin. Cut a circle in the top of the pumpkin around the stem large enough for your hand to fit through. Remove all seeds and stringy insides of the pumpkin. Using a fork or paring knife, pierce the inside and outside of the pumpkin in several places to allow for faster roasting.
- Roast the pumpkin. Add the bourbon to the bottom of the pumpkin if using. Rub the inside walls of the pumpkin with brown sugar. Place in a lipped baking dish, cast iron pan, or pie plate. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the pumpkin is almost cooked through.
- Make the stuffing. Dice Yukon gold potatoes, add to boiling water and cook until fork-tender. Drain and set aside. In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Sauté diced onions until translucent. Add ground beef, season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir frequently to break up the meat. Using a large dinner fork or wooden spatula, add the potatoes and mash into the beef and onion mixture. Mix the potatoes and ground beef together.
- Stuff the pumpkin. Scoop stuffing into the roasted pumpkin. If some of the stuffing fills above the pumpkin, that is fine. Replace the top, return to a 375F oven, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve. Either cut into slices or scoop out the stuffing and pumpkin. Cutting makes for a more eye appealing presentation, but scooping out the stuffing and roasted pumpkin it is usually served.
- use a metal serving spoon or measuring cup to scoop and scrape the sides or any scoop with a sharp edge will help
- if the inside is still really tough, microwave the pumpkin for 2 minutes to soften
- pierce the outside of the pumpkin all over before roasting to speed up the process
- if you’re crunched for time, you can microwave the gutted pumpkin for 8 to 10 minutes instead of oven roasting
- Category: Entree
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: French Canadian
Keywords: stuffed pumpkin, savory stuffed pumpkin, tourtiere, french style stuffed pumpkin