Calling all strawberry lovers! This rustic strawberry burrata galette with fresh basil and pecan crust is the perfect fusion of flavors for dessert or brunch.
Basil and Pecan Crust
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans, finely ground*
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 sticks cold cultured butter, cut in pieces
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup fresh basil thinly sliced, about 10–12 large leaves
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar for sprinkling optional
Strawberry and Burrata Galette
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, trimmed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4-ounce ball fresh burrata
Basil and Pecan Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the pecans into a single layer on a sheet pan and toast for 5 minutes. Let cool completely, then transfer to a food processor and grind finely. If the pecans are too hot, you’ll likely end up making pecan butter instead of ground pecans. If you have a toaster oven, toast the pecans in the toaster oven on a tray on the middle rack to avoid having to wait for the oven to preheat.
- In the food processor, combine the flour, ground pecans, salt and sugar. Add 1/2 the amount of butter, and pulse 8 to 10 times. Add the remaining butter pieces to the food processor and pulse 10 to 12 times while slowly adding cold water.
- Test the dough by pinching a small clump together. If it sticks together, the dough is ready to be formed. If it falls apart, try adding 1 to 2 more tablespoons of cold water while pulsing.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, sprinkle with basil and form into a disk. Kneed the dough slightly just to come together. Wrap the dough with plastic wrap and chill while preparing the strawberries.
- Trim the tops off the strawberries. If there are any really large strawberries, slice them in half. In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, sugar, honey, vanilla and cornstarch. Stir well with a rubber spatula making sure all the strawberries are coated.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and plastic wrap. Lightly flour a flat surface and roll out the dough. The dough should be between 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch in thickness.
- On the center of the dough, add the strawberries leaving about 2 inches of space from the edge of the pie crust. Fold the edges of the pie crust over the strawberry filling so there is about 2 inches of crust. If there are any holes in the crust edges, pinch together to prevent any of the filling escaping during baking. If any juices from the filling does escape, Brush the edges of the crust with the egg wash and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.
- Place the galette on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Chill in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F. Depending on how long it takes to preheat your oven, you may want to do this while the dough chills in the freezer.
- Remove the sheet tray with the galette from the freezer. Bake for 40 minutes. Immediately after baking, remove from the oven and top with torn pieces of burrata.
- Let cool 5 to 10 minutes before slicing and serving to prevent hot filling from running.
*1/4 cup of addition all purpose flour can be substituted for the pecans if you would like this recipe without nuts.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: strawberry galette, strawberry desserts, herb infused pies, easy strawberry pie recipes