Crunchy apples surrounded by fall spices and crispy light sourdough discard batter, fried til crisp and drizzled with sweet, bourbon glaze. You’ll be amazed how fast these fritters disappear!
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups diced honeycrisp apple, about 2 large apples
- 1 1/2 cup (300g) sourdough discard
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cup canola oil for frying
Sweet Bourbon Glaze
- 1 cup (120g) confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 3 to 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- Prep the batter. Peel and dice the apples into small 1/2 inch pieces. In a medium bowl, combine the sourdough discard with the cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and salt. Stir into the batter, mixing well to combine. Add in the apples and baking soda, mixing well to combine. It may seem like there won’t be enough discard at first, but it will thin out as the baking soda mixes into the batter.
- Heat the oil. In a deep-sided, heavy bottom pan, heat the oil to 375°F. Line a sheet pan with paper towels to absorb the excess oil after frying. Have a slotted spoon or fork ready for flipping and removing the fritters.
- Mix the icing. As the oil heats, prepare the icing so it will be ready for the hot fritters. In a small bowl, combine the confectioner’s sugar, bourbon, and heavy cream. Whisk until smooth and set aside.
- Cook the fritters. Carefully drop spoonfuls of batter into the hot oil, about 2 tablespoons of batter per fritter. Work in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan. As the batter thins out, be careful of batter splashing into the hot oil as you drop it. After the fritter cooks for 10 seconds use a fork or another utensil to gently lift the fritter from the bottom of the pan. Cook for about one minute on each side or until a little more than “golden brown.” Remove from the hot oil, draining off excess oil, and transfer to the towel-lined sheet pan or plate. Repeat until all the batter is fried.
- Glaze the fritters. Drizzle the bourbon icing over the hot fritters and serve immediately.
- Honeycrisp apples are recommended for their natural sweetness and crisp texture, but any apple variety can be used.
- Substitute dairy-free milk or creamer for a vegan version of this recipe!
- The bourbon can be left out and substituted with heavy cream.
- If the fritters cool off as you’re cooking, place on a sheet tray in a 425°F to warm up for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Fried
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sourdough apple fritters, apple fritters, sourdough discard recipes, easy discard recipe