Grilled to perfection and served on top of toasted buns stuffed with cast iron grilled peppers and onions, sausage and peppers sandwiches are just what you need for a quick, easy dinner when you want to keep the heat out of the kitchen!
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausages
- 2 red peppers
- 2 green peppers
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1/4 cup truffle aioli
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup canola oil or any other neutral-tasting oil
- 1/2 cup truffle oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Make the aioli. In a food processor, blend the egg on high for 20 seconds. Add the ground mustard, vinegar, and salt. Cover and blend on high speed for another 20 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the food processor. On low speed, add a few drops of oil at a time until the mixture thickens. Increase the speed to high and add the oil in a very slow, steady stream. Scrape down the sides of the food processor again. Add lemon juice and salt to state and blend on high speed for 5 to 10 seconds to incorporate.
- Prep. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Slice the peppers and onions. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat cast iron pan on one side of the grill.
- Grill. Add the peppers and onions to the cast iron pan and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Grill the sausages for 5 minutes each side over medium heat. Just before the sausages and peppers are done, toast the buns. Optional: Spread the truffle aioli on inside of the buns, open, and toast face down or toast the buns plain.
- Make the sandwiches. Stuff each bun with peppers and onions, top with grilled sausage and drizzle with truffle aioli.
- If your truffle aioli is really thick, you can add a little water a teaspoon at a time to make it easier to drizzle over.
- Add some heat! Swap out sweet Italian sausages for hot Italian sausage.
- Not a fan of mayo? Keep it classic with mustard!
- Category: Grilling
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sausage and peppers sandwich, grilled sausage and peppers, easy grilled meals