Easy, savory sausage and kale stuffing comes together in minutes and adds flavor and texture to the traditional recipe! We love the rich sausage, crisp kale, and butter shallots in between bites of stock soaked bread!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 shallots, cut in half-moon slices
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 head Tuscan kale, thinly sliced
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, loose
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 12-ounce package country-style cubed stuffing
- Cook the veggies. In a large skillet or cast iron pan, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté the shallots for 2 minutes, turning down the heat if they begin to brown too quickly. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the kale and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat if shallots start to brown.
- Scramble the meat. In the same pan with the vegetables, cook the sausage over medium to medium-high heat breaking it apart with a spatula or wooden spoon as it cooks. Once the sausage is cooked through, add chicken stock, and bring to a boil.
- Make the stuffing. Remove from heat and add the pecans and stuffing cubes. Mix gently until soft. Let stand about 2 minutes before serving. For a wetter style stuffing, cover for 5 minutes after mixing.
- Yellow onion or leeks can be substituted for shallots if you can’t find them
- Any style stuffing can be used, as long as it’s the same size (12-ounce package) the recipe will work out.
- If making this in advance, have a little extra stock on hand when reheating it.
- This stuffing is so good smoked! If you have access to a smoker, try leaving it on the smoker for a few minutes before serving.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sausage stuffing, kale stuffing, sausage and kale stuffing, savory thanksgiving stuffing