Roasted butternut squash adds sweet, caramelized notes to this savory braised kale and wild rice soup with the option of adding thinly sliced chicken sausage.
- 1 ½ pounds butternut squash, cubed in ½ inch pieces¹
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flake
- Optional: 6 links sweet Italian style chicken sausage
- 1 small head of kale, stems removed and chopped into small pieces
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 ¼ cup wild rice
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 450°F. On a large sheet pan, coat butternut squash in 2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt and black pepper. Stir around the pan to coat all the pieces then spread the squash into one even layer on the sheet pan. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring half way.
- On a separate sheet pan or in a oven safe skillet, place chicken sausage evenly (if opting for the non-vegetarian version). Roast at 450°F for 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes then slice thinly, set aside.
- In a large stock pot or your favorite soup pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add kale, ½ teaspoon salt and red pepper flake, stirring 2 additional minutes to braise the kale. Deglaze the pan with white wine, giving it a quick stir after the steam releases.
- If using the chicken sausage, add it to the pot along with the roasted butternut squash and wild rice. Stir in the chicken or vegetable stock. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 25 minutes.
- After cooking, taste test and adjust salt and pepper levels if needed. If using homemade or low sodium stock, you may need ½ to 1 teaspoon of additional salt.
¹When cutting the squash and kale, keep in mind the size of a soup spoon. You want more than one ingredient to fit on the spoon at a time. Both will shrink alittle after cooking.