Pork Carnitas Tacos are a game changer! Tender pulled pork, fresh fruit salsa, pickled cabbage and spicy jalapeño avocado crema are the most delicious combination of flavors.
- 3 pound boneless pork shoulder, cut in large chunks
- 1/3 cup BBQ Spice Rub
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
Pork Carnitas Taco Toppings
- Instant Pot Instructions: Season the pork on all sides with spice rub. Heat the instant pot on the ‘sauté’ setting and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the pork and sear for 2 minutes each side. Carefully pour the pineapple juice and soy sauce into the pan. Cover with the lid, seal, and set to high pressure for 30 minutes or the ‘Meat/Stew’ setting. Manually release pressure after cooking.
- Crock Pot Instructions: Season the pork on all sides with spice rub.Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the oil, once it shimmers add the seasoned pork and sear on both sides for two minutes each. Add the braising liquid and scrape any bits off the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1 minute and then transfer everything to the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 6 1/2 to 7 hours.
- Stove Top Instructions: Season the pork on all sides with spice rub. Heat a dutch oven over high heat. Add the oil, once it shimmers add the seasoned pork and sear on both sides for two minutes each. Add the braising liquid and scrape any bits off the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 4 hours until meat easily falls apart at the touch of a fork.
- After cooking on any method, preheat the oven to ‘broil’ on high. Transfer the pork to a 9×13 pan and shred with two forks into bite sized pieces. Pour 1 cup of the pan juices over the pork. Broil for 10 minutes to get that crispy carnitas texture.
The BEST Pork Carnitas Tacos
- In a skillet or direction on a gas stove top, warm the tortillas over low heat on both sides. If using corn tortillas, stack two tortillas on top of each other so they don’t rip from the juices.
- Slather the center of the tortilla with about a tablespoon of jalapeño avocado crema. Layer with 3 tablespoons of well drained pickled cabbage, 1/4 cup of pork carnitas and 1 to 2 tablespoons of pineapple mango salsa.
A quick spice rub of brown sugar, paprika, chili powder, cayenne, and salt can be used alternatively.
- Category: tacos
- Method: instant pot
- Cuisine: mexican
Keywords: instant pot carnitas, pork carnitas tacos, carnitas taco toppings, different ways to cook pork carnitas