Crunchy greens, sourdough croutons, roasted squash, sweet pears and tangy cheese bring flavor and hearty ingredients to this crowd-pleasing pear and kale salad!
- 1 head Tuscan kale, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 slices sourdough bread, hand torn or cut in bite sized pieces
- 1 delicata squash, thinly sliced
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar, grated
- salt and pepper
MAPLE APPLE CIDER VINAIGRETTE
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Roast the squash. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Toss the squash with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes until fork tender and slightly caramelized on the edges.
- Make the croutons. Cut or hand tear the bread into bite-sized cubes. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 400°F for 5 to 8 minutes. Let cool.
- Make the dressing. In a bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, apple cider, dijon, garlic, salt, and pepper. Slowly pour in olive oil while whisking quickly. Alternatively: Combine all ingredients in a mason jar, cover tightly, and shake vigorously until blended.
- Build the salad. Toss the kale with dressing until coated, lightly massaging the dressing into the leaves. Sprinkle grated cheddar over the greens. Top with thinly sliced pear, croutons, and roasted squash.
- If making this in advance, save the pear slicing until you’re ready to serve.
- Category: Salads
- Method: Toss
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: kale salad, pear kale salad, pear and cheddar kale salad