Homemade cranberry sauce is so simple to make and an easy make-ahead side dish for any occasion. Simmered fresh cranberries with maple syrup and bourbon make for the perfect, crowd-pleasing twist on the traditional!
- 1 12-ounce package fresh cranberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- Stir. In a medium saucepan combine the cranberries, sugar, maple syrup, and bourbon over medium-high heat. Bring the ingredients to a slow boil, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer. Once the ingredients are at a boil, reduce heat to low. Cover almost completely, leaving a small opening to vent steam and cook for 30 minutes. After the first 30 minutes, stir, and continue to cook another 30 minutes without the cover.
- Serve. The sauce can be eaten right away warm or allow to cool before serving. This can be made several days in advance and held in the fridge until needed.
- For a smoother sauce, pulse the cranberries in the food processor until chopped.
- Bourbon can be substituted with any fruit juice.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade cranberry sauce, bourbon cranberry sauce, maple cranberry sauce, make ahead cranberry sauce