Ready to play with your food? Healthy fruit snack meets fun with these magic fairy fruit wands! Our girls love making them just for fun or having them for playtime with friends!
- 1 small watermelon
- 1 pound red grapes
- 1/2 pound blackberries
- 1/2 pound strawberries
- 2 rolls fruit leather, we used Fruit by the Foot
- heavy duty skewers
- star or heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Cut the watermelon. Cut the watermelon into 1-inch rounds. Using a star cookie cutter, cut out pieces of watermelon and set them aside. (Cut any leftover watermelon into cubes to snack on later.)
- Slice. Using a pizza cutter, slice the fruit leather into 10 to 12-inch pieces, then into two strings per piece.
- Build the wands. On each skewer, add pieces of berries and grapes leaving about 2 inches from the top. Tie the fruit leather “strings” to the skewer in between the top of the berries and below the watermelon. Place the watermelon star on the top of the skewer without the top poking through. If making these for small kids, trim the pointed part of the skewer before placing the watermelon star on top.
- When selecting fruit for the wands, pick fruit with skin or that isn’t very ‘wet’ to the touch like strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and grapes.
- Use heavy-duty skewers or two thin skewers per wand as the watermelon toppers can get a little heavy once all the fruit is stacked on the skewer.
- If making these in advance, wait to add the fruit leather ribbons otherwise the moisture from the fruit will make them sticky and wet while the fruit wands sit.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Skewer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fruit wands, snacks for kids, fun fruit snacks for kids, fairy fruit wands, healthy kid party snacks