If you thought salad couldn’t be for dinner – think again!
- 1 pound pork belly
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Remaining marinade (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat drippings
Kale Salad with Pork Belly Lardons:
- 1 bunch kale, clean, dried, and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cup roasted sweet potato (1 medium sweet potato)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup slivered almond
- 1/3 cup bacon vinaigrette
- Honey-Lemon Pork Belly Lardons
For the pork belly and sweet potato:
- Prepare the marinade and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350. Wash and dice sweet potato into bite sized pieces. Place on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes until tender, set aside to cool.
- While sweet potato is baking, prepare the pork belly. Cut pork belly into strips, lay flat and season liberally with salt. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Cut strips into lardons, about 1/2″ thick. Bake in 350F oven for 25 minutes until lardons begin to brown.
- Bring oven heat as high as possible and cook lardons 5 minutes. Strain bacon drippings from the pan and set aside for dressing. Stir in 1/4 cup of marinade. Return to the oven, cook for 7 minutes until lardons are crispy and marinade is bubbling. Set aside to cool.
To build the salad:
- Wash, dry, and remove stem from kale leaves, roughly chop into bite sized pieces.
- Add sweet potato, pomegranate seeds, and slivered almonds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together ingredients for bacon vinaigrette. Drizzle desired amount of dressing over salad (1/3 cup recommended) and toss ingredients to coat.
- Sprinkle honey-lemon pork belly lardons over the top of the salad
- Category: Salad