Ridiculously tender and easy to prepare, these fall apart Instant Pot braised short ribs are great for date night in, to serve to company, or when you’re craving a comfort food classic.
- 3 to 4 lbs bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1/2 head roasted garlic or 3 raw cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Optional 3 medium sweet potatoes
- Roast the garlic. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Peel of the papery outside layers and trim the very top of the head of garlic off. Place the head of garlic on a square of aluminum foil and drizzle with 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Wrap the garlic in the aluminum foil and cook for 40 minutes until the garlic is fork-tender. If opting for raw garlic, skip this step.
- Trim and season. Trim off any excess fat from the top of the short ribs. Season generously with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Sear. Set the instant pot on ‘saute’ setting. Heat oil until it shimmers. Sear the short ribs for 3 minutes on all four sides. Remove the short ribs from the pan.
- Build the sauce. Add the carrots, onions, and celery to the pan and cook for 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomato paste and roasted garlic until the vegetables are well coated with tomato paste. Deglaze with red wine and stir in the beef stock and herbs.
- Cook. Place the short ribs and any juices on the plate in the braising liquid, bone side up. Optional: set the trivet over the short ribs and place sweet potatoes on top to cook at the same time as the short ribs. Lock on the lid and set to seal. Cook on high pressure for 45 minutes. Natural release for about 10 minutes. Remove the lid once the pressure valve has gone down.
- Finish the sauce. Remove the short ribs (and sweet potatoes) to a plate and tent loosely with foil. Set the instant pot to saute. Discard the herb stems. Transfer about 1/2 a cup of sauce to a small bowl and whisk in the flour, making sure there are no lumps then stir back into the sauce. Using a hand blender, blend the vegetables into the sauce or carefully transfer the vegetables and sauce to a blender to puree. Return to instant pot and continue to simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve. Plate the short ribs over vegetables and spoon generous amounts of sauce over the short ribs.
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot braised short ribs, red wine short ribs, braised short ribs