Pickled red onions are super easy to make and great to have around for an added, flavor-packed crunch on tacos, sandwiches, burgers, and more!
- 1 large red onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup rice wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- optional: add spices like black peppercorn or fresh herbs
- Boil the water. Set 3 cups of water to boil in a kettle or a saucepan. In a container with a lid, like a mason jar, add vinegar, sugar, salt, and any spices if you choose. Stir to combine.
- Blanch the onions. Place the sliced onions in a strainer. Once the water is boiling, pour slowly over the onions until all the water is gone. This can be done over the sink or over a large bowl.
- Pickle the onions. Transfer the onions to the container with the vinegar mixture. Let sit for 30 minutes before using. The flavor will develop and the harshness of the vinegar will mellow the longer it sits. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Category: sides
- Method: pickle
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: how to quick pickle, quick pickled onions, pickled red onions, toppings for tacos, toppings for burgers