We’re in love with these heart shaped pancakes! Fluffy, buttermilk pancakes in a fun red heart shape easily done with natural food dye and DIY pancake molds.
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons beetroot powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- additional butter for the pan
- optional toppings: maple syrup, fresh fruit, whipped cream, mint
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and beetroot powder. In a seperate bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, vanilla, and melted butter.
- Using a rubber spatula, mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Do not overmix! Stir until all the dry ingredients are incorporated, but there should be some lumps in the batter.
- Make the heart molds using aluminum foil. Take a piece of aluminum foil that’s a little under 1 1/2 feet long. Fold it into quarters or until it’s just over an inch wide. Fold it in half the long way (to make the point of the heart.) . Make the top of the heart by connecting the two ends, fold them over and round out the tops. Repeat for as many times as you need to fill the pan or the griddle. For a 13 inch skillet, you’ll need 3 molds.
- Melt butter in the skillet or griddle over medium heat and place the molds in the pan. Fill each mold with 1/4 cup batter and spread gently with a small spatula or the back of a spoon. When bubbles appear on to the top of the pancakes, carefully remove the molds. You may need a small spatula to seperate the molds from the sides of the pancakes. Flip and cook the other side about 2 minutes.
- Repeat until all the batter is used. Serve and garnish with your favorite toppings!
- If the beetroot powder is clumpy, give it a quick sift first.
- If using regular red food dye, mix it into the wet ingredients instead of the dry. Start with 1/2 a teaspoon and adjust depending on how vibrant you want the red color.
- Heart shaped cooking cutters can be used in place of the foil molds.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: heart shaped pancakes, natural red food dye, red heart pancakes, valentine's day breakfast