Balance of texture and sweet, slightly acidic tomatoes. This sauce is a staple base for all your Italian food dreams!
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (small dice)
- 5 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
- 1 large carrot (peeled and quartered)
- 6 leaves fresh basil
- 3 28-ounce cans San Marzano peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup white wine
- salt and pepper
- In a separate bowl, hand squeeze each tomato breaking it apart. Run your fingers through to ensure tomatoes have been broken into smaller pieces. Set aside.
- In a heavy-bottom sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté onions until they begin to sweat, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and carrots, sauté an additional 3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine and cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Once sauce comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes until sauce has thickened.
- Remove carrots, let cool and store.
- Category: Main Course, Sauce
- Cuisine: Italian