Vibrant sweet basil, zesty bright grapefruit, toasty pecans and creamy olive oil with the perfect amount of parmesan cheesy goodness. Grapefruit and Basil Pecan Pesto is here to put a bright and fresh Spring flavor right onto your fork…or pasta…or bread.
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 6 cups basil leaves (about 3 good sized bunches)
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- zest of 1 ruby red grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet into a single layer. Toast for 3 to 4 minutes until lightly browned and aromatic. Transfer to the food processor and let cool.
- In the food processor, add the garlic (see note), grapefruit zest and parmesan cheese. Pulse for about 1 minute, until the ingredients are finally ground.
- Pack the basil into the food processor, add the grapefruit juice and sprinkle with salt. Close the lid and turn the food processor on. With the blade running, slowly add the olive oil into a steady drizzle until incorporated.
- Serve over your favorite pasta. This pesto will keep overnight up til 2 says, but cover with a thin layer of oil to prevent browning.
- You’ll need a zester for both the grapefruit and the garlic. My favorite is a microplane.
- Category: sauces
- Cuisine: italian
Keywords: how to use grapefruit, savory grapefruit recipes, pecan pesto recipes, citrus pesto recipe