Get the house smelling good while making this holiday inspired snack! Gingerbread popcorn is a sweet and spicy twist on traditional homemade kettle corn and ready in under 10 minutes!
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- Line a sheet pan with parchment or wax paper. Keep it close to the stove so you can quickly spread out the popped popcorn. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Pour the oil into the saucepan, add 3 popcorn kernels and cover with a well fitting lid. Cook over medium high heat. When these kernels start to pop you’ll know that the oil is hot enough to cook the rest of the kernels.
- After the test kernels start to pop, add the remaining popcorn kernels. Quickly stir in the sugar and spice mixture with the kernels and cover with a lid. As the popcorn pops, frequently shake the pan to mix the sugar with the popcorn. Increase your pan shaking as the popping speeds up.
- When the popping starts to slow, about 2 seconds between each pop, remove the pan from the burner and empty onto the lined sheet pan. Using a long handled spoon or spatula, spread the hot popcorn into as much of a single layer as possible (it doesn’t have to be perfect.) Let cool for 2 to 3 minutes before eating.
- When shaking the pan, remove the pan from the burner and with one hand on the lid and one hand on the handle of the pan shake it back and forth vigorously. Return to the burner after shaking.
- Seeing some steam from under the lid is normal, smoke is not. Smoke will mean burnt sugar.
- Don’t cook until all the kernels are popped or you will most likely burn the sugar and popcorn. Once there’s about 2 seconds between pops is a good indicator the popping is done.
- Your gingerbread popcorn should stay nice and crisp in an airtight bag for up to 2 days.
- Category: Christmas
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gingerbread popcorn, kettle corn style popcorn, gingerbread seasoning, homemade gingerbread popcorn