A warm and cozy spin on the classic cocktail with minimal effort and maximum flavor. Gingerbread spices with just the right sweetness stirred into muddled orange, cherry and bourbon.
Gingerbread Old Fashioned Cocktail
- 1 orange slice see notes
- 1 candied cherry, maraschino or luxardo
- 1 ounce gingerbread syrup
- 2 ounces bourbon or whiskey
- 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the syrup: In a medium size saucepan, combine the ingredients. Heat over medium heat, stirring until combined.
- Bring to a slow boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes – stirring occasionally. Let cool 5 minutes before using.
- Make the cocktail: In a short tumbler glass, muddle the orange slice and cherry until lightly smashed. Pour in the gingerbread syrup and bourbon. Fill the glass 3/4 of the way with crushed or cubed ice. Stir with a cocktail spoon until all the syrup and bourbon have combined, about 10 to 15 seconds.
- Optional: Using a vegetable peeler, peel a piece of orange zest. Heat the outside of the zest with a lighter for 1 to 2 seconds then rub on the lip of the glass. Garnish with a fresh candied cherry.
- Gingerbread syrup will last for about 1 month when kept in an air tight container.
- The orange slices should be half moon slices and about 1/4 inch in thickness.
- The point of lighting the orange zest garnish is to release the aroma and flavors from the zest, then rub them on the lip of the glass so you can both taste and smell the sweet orange acidity.
- Category: cocktails
- Method: stir
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: gingerbread cocktails, gingerbread old fashioned, old fashioned cocktails, holiday cocktails