Bring on cherry season! Fresh juicy cherries are the perfect pop of sweet to pair with tangy, savory fried halloumi with crunchy multigrain croutons and sweet lemon honey dressing.
For the salad:
- 4 cups chopped lacinato kale (about 1 small head)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 5 thick sliced multigrain bread, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 8-ounce package Halloumi cheese
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cherries
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Prepare the lettuces: Remove the leaves of the kale from the stem and chop into bite sized pieces. Soak in cold water for about 5 minutes, then drain and dry well using either a salad spinner or clean kitchen towel. In a large bowl combine the kale and baby spinach.
- Make the croutons: Preheat the oven to 375°F. This step can also be done in a toaster oven, in which case you do not need to preheat the toaster oven. Toss the bread with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt. Spread into a single layer on a sheet pan. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring about half way.
- Prep the cherries: Remove the stems and pits from the cherries. Slice each cherry in half and set aside.
- Fry the cheese: Slice the halloumi into 8 to 10 rectangular slices. Heat a medium size, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Fry the cheese until golden brown on each side, about 2 minutes.
- Make the dressing: In a mason jar, combine the dressing ingredients. Cover and shake vigorously for 10 to 15 seconds to combine.
- Prepare the salad: Drizzle the salad with the lemon honey dressing and toss well to combine. Sprinkle the croutons and halved cherries over the leaves. Top the salad with fried halloumi pieces and a sprinkle of pine nuts over the top.
- Category: salads
- Method: toss
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: how to fry halloumi cheese, halloumi cheese recipes, salads with halloumi cheese