Soup soaked bread, caramelized onions and tangy, melted baby swiss transform French Onion Soup into a shareable, crowd pleasing pull apart bread!
- 1 lg French sourdough loaf
- 3 lg white onions
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 c baby swiss or gruyere (fresh grated)
- 3/4 c beef consommé
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- Slice onions in 1/4″ half-moon slices. Heat a large sauté pan on medium. Melt butter and olive oil together. Working in three rounds, layer sliced onions and sprinkle with salt. Let simmer for 5 minutes on medium, then turn heat to low. Let simmer for 10 minutes before stirring.
- Cook onions until caramelized and browning. Add beef consommé and reduce over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring continuously. There should be some liquid, but thickened.
- Slice bread crosswise in 1″ squares. Stuff the cracks with soup and onion mixture. Spread any addition soup and onion mixture over the top. Repeat with grated cheese.
- Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes in a dutch oven or high lipped baking dish. Finish by broiling on high for 5 minutes.
- Category: Appetizer