Tender, juicy, bite sized lamb chops meets sweet and savory apple chutney with a burst of fresh mint. Laced with natural flavors of caramel and cinnamon, organic Autumn Glory Apples bring fall flavors to the table year round.
- 2 dozen lollipop lamb chops (or 2 racks Frenched rack of lamb cut into chops)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Autumn Glory Apples, peeled and diced ½ to ¼ inch
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
Autumn Glory Apple + Mint Chutney
- In a large sauce pan, combine all ingredients – excluding lamb, olive oil and mint – over high heat for five minutes.
- Once mixture comes to a full boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 40 minutes covered.
- Remove cover and increase heat to medium. Continue to cook an additional 15 minutes until remaining liquid cooks off.
- Let cool completely, about 20-30 minutes. Stir in fresh chopped mint.
To prepare the lamb chops:
- Preheat oven to 375°F with a large cast iron skillet inside.¹
- While oven is preheating, pat lamb chops dry, lightly rub with olive oil, and season both sides with kosher salt and black pepper.²
- Once oven is heated, remove the cast iron skillet and set on stove top over high heat. Sear the lamb chops on each side for 3 to 4 minutes. Once seared, return the cast iron skillet to the oven. Let bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and transfer lollipop lamb chops to a cutting board to rest for 5 minutes.
- Transfer lamb chops to a serving dish and top rustically with Autumn Glory Apple + Mint Chutney.
¹Braising can be done without a cast iron pan using a non stick skillet in it’s place. No need to preheat non-stick skillet in the oven, but heat pan on high heat before searing lamb. If using a cast iron pan, preheating in the oven will help to maintain an even heat throughout the bottom of the pan when braising the lamb chops on the stove top.
²Remove lollipop lamb chops from the refrigerator 1 hour before braising. Let sit, uncovered at room temperature. Patting the meat dry with a paper towel will help form the perfect sear when braising the meat.
³Recipe includes 1 hour 20 minutes inactive time. If individual lollipop lamb chops are not available, you can ask your butcher to separate a Frenched rack of lamb, or slice them at home.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lamb chop lollipops, lamb chop and apple chutney, lamb chop appetizer, fall inspired pot luck ideas