Light, fresh, and satisfying! We love grilling up falafel turkey burgers when we’re in the mood for a juicy, messy burger but want to keep the meal light and lean!
Falafel Turkey Burgers
- 1 can chickpeas, 15.5 ounce can, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 red onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 lb package 99% lean ground turkey
- whole wheat burger buns
- feta cheese
- tzatziki or hummus
- pickled red onions
- Chop the ingredients. In a food processor, pulse the parsley, cilantro, garlic, and red onion about 10 to 15 times or until well chopped. Add the cumin, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and chickpeas and repeat until minced.
- Make the burger mix. Either in the food processor or in a bowl, combine the ground turkey with the minced falafel ingredients.
- Make the patties. Divide the mix into 6 equal portions in a rough ball shape (5 1/2-ounce patties.) Place between two pieces of parchment paper and press down with a plate or saute pan until the patties are 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thick. You can also form the patties by hand without parchment paper and jut wetting your hands with a little water to keep the mix from sticking to your hands.
- Grill the falafel burgers. Over medium-high heat, grill the burgers 5 minutes on each side until cooked through. When the burgers are about half-way done cooking on the second side top with any cheese.
- Assemble. Stack the cooked burgers on toasted whole wheat buns, feta cheese, tzatziki sauce, and pickled onions.
- To make these without a food processor, finely mince the herbs, onion, and chickpeas. Once that’s done all the ingredients can be combined in a medium-sized bowl.
- You can switch the ground meat to whichever you like. These falafel turkey burgers are great with 93/7 lean ground turkey, 99% fat free ground turkey, ground chicken, or even ground beef.
- On the blue points weight watchers plan, these turkey burgers are 3 points each and include the burger patty, whole wheat bun, fat free feta, pickled onions and tzatziki made with fat-free Greek yogurt.
- The burger mix can be made ahead of time. If you want to pan sear the burgers instead this is a great way to allow the ingredients to bind together for easier cooking.
- Shaped, raw patties are great to make ahead and freeze! Just thaw for 30 to 60 minutes before cooking.
- Category: Bugers
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: falafel burgers, turkey burgers, falafel turkey burgers, weight watchers turkey burgers, healthy burgers