Traditional mediterranean flavors surround tender, thin sliced lamb with a cool yogurt sauce and fresh crunchy vegetables.
Traditional Spice Rub
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley*
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme*
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano*
Easy Lamb Gyros
- 3-pound boneless leg of lamb
- pita bread
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 5 leaves romaine lettuce
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1 cup plain greek yourt
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped mint
Easy Lamb Gyros with Traditional Spice Rub
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Remove lamb roast from packaging. If the roast comes in a net, remove that as well. Pat dry and set aside.
- Combine spices in a medium sized bowl. Generously rub spice mix over entire lamb roast. Place roast on a lipped baking sheet or in a roasting pan. Tuck the ‘tail’ piece (small thin end) under the roast.
- Cook for 1 hour, roast should be medium well to well done. Let cool 15 to 20 minutes. After the roast has rested, use a sharp knife to slice the lamb roast in very thin pieces, 1/4″ to 1/8″ thick.
While the roast is resting, prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt and fresh chopped mint. Mix well.
- Chop tomatoes and cucumbers. Julienne lettuce.
- Using either the microwave on lowest setting or a gas stove, warm pita bread. If using a gas stove top, turn on the lowest heat setting and carefully toast the pita on both sides for about 15 to 20 seconds.
- Create your own personalized gyros, with your favorite combination of toppings!
*If using fresh herbs, substitute 1/2 teaspoon
- Method: baked
Keywords: easy lamb gyros, simple spice rub for lamb, how to make lamb gyros