Celebrate Date Night in with rich, but simple classic Italian Veal Osso Bucco. Braised and slow simmered with mirepoix vegetables, fresh herbs, garlic and tomato. Don’t forget to come hungry.
- 5 lbs veal shank (4 shanks, 1 1/4 pounds each)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 bulb fennel, 1/4″ half-moon slices
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomato
- 1 head garlic cut in half horizontally
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- all purpose flour for dredging
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Sear: Season both sides of the shanks with salt and pepper. Dredge each side in all purpose flour. Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over high heat. Sear the meat, 3 minutes each side. Remove from the pan to a separate plate and set aside.
- Sauté: Reduce the heat to medium-high, melt the butter and add chopped vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until soft, about 7-8 minutes.
- Simmer: Mix in tomato paste, then deglaze the pan with red wine. Return the shanks and any juices to the pan. Let the liquid reduce for 2 minutes. Add diced tomatoes with sauce, garlic, rosemary and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 1 and 1/2 hours with the lid on. Turn the shanks over and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve: Serve right away with the pan sauce and vegetables, or cover and reheat right before serving. We recommend serving with creamy Parmesan Risotto!
Recipe can be halved, but it’s nice to have leftovers to relive date night throughout the week!
Keywords: date night in, date night meals, Sunday supper, slow cooking, dutch oven cooking, osso bucco, veal osso bucco