The best vegetarian tacos! Crispy kale, roasted brussels sprouts, pickled red cabbage, melty cheese, and tangy wasabi ranch. Simple and delicious!
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 4 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cups curly kale torn into pieces (about 2 large stems)
- 4 ounces shredded cheese like cheddar jack, pepper jack or regular cheddar
- 8 taco size tortillas
- 1 cup quick picked red cabbage
- 1 cup wasabi ranch
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoon wasabi paste
Crispy Kale and Brussels Sprout Tacos
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. While the oven preheats, trim the brussels sprouts by removing the bottom stem and cutting in quarters, set aside. For the kale, remove the leaves from the stems. Tear into larger than ‘bite sized’ pieces. Place in a large bowl, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and toss to make sure all the kale is covered with oil. Set the kale aside.
- Arrange the brussels sprouts on a baking sheet and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Spread them out on the baking sheet so there is plenty of room (the sprouts will crisp up better with more room).
- Cook for 15 minutes, stir and move to half of the pan. On the other half of the pan lay the pieces of kale flat – they can be close together. Sprinkle the kale lightly with salt and bake with the sprouts for another 15 minutes.
- While the vegetables finish cooking, toast the tortillas. If you have a gas stove, this can be done carefully on the burger with the heat on low. If you do not have a gas stove or that’s to close to the fire, toast each tortilla in a sauté pan until the outside starts to turn a golden brown. Layer with shredded cheese and set off to the side.
- Layer the tacos with picked red cabbage, brussels sprouts and crispy kale. Finish with a drizzle of wasabi ranch on top and enjoy!
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, ranch seasoning and wasabi paste. Whisk thoroughly until combined.
- Depending on the brand of sour cream, you may need to add 1 tablespoon of water to get it to easily drizzle with a spoon.
- Corn tortillas can be substituted for flour tortillas.
Keywords: vegetarian tacos, crispy kale, brussels sprout tacos, the best healthy tacos