Simmered with shallots, cream and marsala wine then finished in the oven this simple vegetarian side dish is perfect for a holiday meal or weeknight dinner.
- 12 ounce bag (4 cups) brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 large shallots, cut in 1/4 inch moon slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3/4 cup Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil and butter. Once the butter is melted add the shallots and sauté for 2 minutes before adding the garlic. Cook the garlic and shallots together for 1 minute, stirring frequently so the shallots do not burn.
Add the sprouts to the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until they start to brown slightly. Deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup marsala wine, stirring frequently. Cook for 10 minutes until wine is reduced. When sprouts are browned and somewhat soft add remaining 1/4 cup marsala, heavy cream and 1 tablespoon unsalted butter. Stir to combine.
Remove the pan from the heat and place in the oven. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes until the sauce is reduced and the brussel sprouts have crisped up. Enjoy right away!
If reheating later, reheat on the stove top with a splash of heavy cream.
Keywords: holiday side dishes, using cooking wine, how to cook with cooking wine, marsala cream sauce