Full of flavor and creamy texture, this vegan butternut squash soup is perfect for fall. For a boost of flavor, add a drizzle of vegan sage creme on top!
Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 cup cashews, raw
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 to 1 ¼ lb butternut squash, peeled and cut in ½ to 1 inch cubes
- 1 leek, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup white wine
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Sage Cashew Crema
- 1/4 cup cashews, raw
- 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup water
- 4 large leaves fresh sage
- Soak cashews in water for 2 to 4 hours prior to making the soup.
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Cook leek and garlic 3 to 5 minutes until they become soft and shiny.
- Stir in cubed squash and thyme, season with salt and pepper. Cook 3 minutes then add white wine and chicken stock. Cover and cook over med high heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until squash is very soft.
- While squash and liquids are simmering, prepare the cashews. Using a blender or food processor, add the cashews and the soaking water. Blend on high for 1 to 2 minutes until thorough processed. Cashew liquid should resemble the same thickness as cashew or almond milk.
- Add cashew liquid to the stock pot and remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, purée the squash and liquid together until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.¹
Sage Cashew Creme
- Using a food processor or blender, add cashews, soaking liquid and sage leaves. Process on high for 1 to 2 minutes until well combined. The creme should be thick but still a bit liquid. Drizzle over Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup.
¹If you do not have an immersion blender, a standard blender can be used. Carefully transfer the contents of the stock pot into the blender, cover and process. Use caution when transferring and removing the blender lid.
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: vegan
Keywords: creamy vegan soup, butternut squash soup, soups to make for fall, creamy vegan butternut soup