Savory, rich tomato with fresh sweet basil and a hint of cream. Comforting tomato soup simmers easy to find ingredients on the stovetop in minutes followed by a quick blend for a nice smooth texture.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 (29-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 10–15 basil leaves, about 1/4 cup packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- optional 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat until it shimmers. Sauté the onion for about 1 minute before adding the chopped garlic. Cook while stirring frequently until the onions are translucent, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine – watch out for steam – and add tomato sauce, chicken stock and heavy cream. Season the soup with salt and pepper. For a hint of heat, add 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Stir in the basil leaves.
- Bring the soup to a boil over medium high heat. Once a slow boil is reached, about 10 minutes, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blend the soup using either a hand blender or by carefully transferring to a blender capable of blending hot liquids.
- Serve immediately with a classic grilled cheese, crusty bread or garlic knots. Soup will stay fresh refrigerated for 1 week.
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: quick soups, easy soup recipes, comfort food, creamy soups, tomato soup