Powerful sweet basil, rich toasted pine nuts and bright fresh lemon whipped together with creamy ricotta cheese for a zesty spin on traditional pesto.
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 cup basil leaves
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh grated parmesan
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup ricotta cheese, divided
- 1 lemon, zested
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ box or package spaghetti
- Toast pine nuts in 350°F oven, or toaster oven, for 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Set a medium saucepan with salted water to boil. Once at a boil, cook spaghetti until al dente – about 7 to 8 minutes – or by package instructions. If cooking in advance, lightly oil to prevent clumping while it cools.
- In a food processor, add garlic cloves and basil. Pulse 10 to 15 times. Add parmesan, lemon zest, ¼ cup ricotta cheese and salt. Turn the food processor to ‘On.’
- With food processor running, slowly add olive oil and blend for 1 minute.
- In a large sauce pan, add cooked spaghetti and creamy lemon ricotta pesto. Sauté over low heat until pasta is evenly coated. Plate and top with remaining ¼ cup of ricotta cheese.