Light, quick and simple! Protein packed one pan meal is here to rescue dinner. Turkey sausage, baby kale and chickpea pasta sautéed with garlic white wine done fast!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta diced small
- 1 to 1 1/4 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage loose or removed from casings
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 5-ounce package baby kale
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 8-ounce box cavatappi chickpea pasta
- 1/3 cup pasta water or chicken stock optional
- red pepper flakes optional
- Set a large pot of salted water to boil. When the water comes to a roiling boil, add the pasta and stir. Cook 5 to 6 minutes or following recommended package instructions. Reserve 1/3 cup salted pasta water before draining.
- While the water boils and the pasta cooks, prepare the sauce. Set a large skillet or braiser over medium-high heat. Heat the oil and sauté pancetta until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the sausage to the pan and using a wooden spatula or spoon break it apart as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Deglaze the pan with white wine. Stir in the garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice. Reduce the heat or turn off until pasta is cooked.
- When pasta is cooked and drained, transfer to the skillet over low heat and add the baby kale. The pan will seem very full with the baby kale at first, but it will wilt quickly. If you’d prefer more liquid to the sauce, add the reserved pasta water a little at a time until it thickens. Finish by sprinkling parmesan cheese over the pasta, lightly stirring it in.
- The pancetta adds a savory, salty flavor. You can lighten up this pasta calorie-wise by omitting the pancetta. Be sure to season with salt and pepper if removing this ingredient.
- One 5-ounce package of baby kale is about 2 1/2 cup packed baby kale.
- Baby spinach is a great substitute for baby kale if you prefer a less bitter green.
- Depending on the brand and shape of pasta, cooking times will vary.
- If using garlic from a jar, use about 1 teaspoon.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: chickpea pasta, chickpea pasta recipes, one pan pastas, low carb pastas, gluten free pasta recipes